It’s Monday….

This is one of the busier days we’ve had.

It started at 6:15 this morning. I know that’s not super early for most people, but for us, it’s almost unheard of. 

Our puppies had their spay/neuter appointments today and we had to drop them off 7:30. We got home around 7:45 and then started the mad scramble for the rest of the day. 

I made eggs and sausage for breakfast. I showered quickly and began the mad dash to get ready for my doctors appointment. 

Today was my monthly visit with the OB and also my 28 week labs. If you don’t know what that entails, let me explain. 

First up for me, I had to get my drink on. The glucose tolerance test to check for gestational diabetes includes drinking a super sugary (50 grams of Dextrose) in 10 ounces flavored kind of like soda. It wasn’t horrible, just incredibly sweet. I drank it fairly quickly because I didn’t see any reason to sip it.


Then I went back out into the waiting room with strict instructions not to be late for my blood draw an hour later. 

I was then called in for my appointment with the doctor. Like most appointments at this point in (non-complicated) pregnancy, it’s quite simple. I step on the scale (HOLY SHIT BALLS), get my blood pressure taken (112/72) and then wait for the doctor. He comes in, asks how things are, we chat, he measures my belly (measuring a week ahead, no biggie) and listens to baby’s heartbeat via fetal doppler. This being my 28 week appointment we talk about what blood work they will do (complete CBC, HIV test and blood glucose) and also about getting the Tdap vaccine. All is well. He instructs me to wait for the nurse to give me the shot and then schedule my next appointment in two weeks. 

I kind of feel like pregnancy is progressing now, I get to go to the doctor EVERY TWO WEEKS! It’s awesome and it sucks. It’s great because we are getting closer to the baby being here, but it sucks because everything is going well, why do I need to live at the doctors office?!

Anyway, while waiting for the shot (like two minutes), I get a call from the vet asking me if we want them to repair Pebbles hernia while doing her spay and the additional fee for it. I give the okay for the additional procedure while the lovely nurse waits patiently. 

She gives me the shot and I go back up to check out and schedule my next appointment. After doing that, I go back to the lab to wait the final 25 minutes before my blood draw. 

They take 3 vials of blood and I’m out. Phew!

While I was at the office, I felt great. I’ve heard from multiple people that the sugar drink makes people nauseous or lightheaded, but I didn’t feel any of that. I had tons of energy and big plans to shampoo the carpets when I got home. 

Needless to say, when I got home I was wiped out. I laid down on the couch and fell asleep for four hours. When I woke up at 2:30, I ate lunch (chicken breast and roasted brussels sprouts) and called my mom to give her my appointment update.

I picked the dogs up at around 4:15 and they are just a pitiful mess. They look so sad and tired; it breaks my heart. ImageImage

We have strict instructions for them for the next 10 days. No running or jumping (this sounds impossible) and they absolutely cannot lick their stitches for risk of infection or pulling them out. Devin is on his way to pick up the plastic cones to help with no licking. My poor babies!

Next on the agenda? Childbirth class! We start our classes tonight. It runs for 4 weeks (Monday) with each class 2.5 hours long. I’m strangely excited. It’s getting more real; we are having a baby….soon!

Countdown to baby: 86 days




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s